Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Turkey's Lament by King Gobbler


I wonder what I can have done
To merit all this trouble--
Shut up where I can have no fun
And bent until I'm double!

This morning all the folks rushed out
And chased me over fences
And here and there and round about
Until I lost my senses.

I ran toward the farmer's wife
And thought she would befriend me,
But even she--upon my life--
Did nothing to defend me!

Instead, she grabbed me by a foot
With no consideration,
And in this prison I was put
Without an explanation.

The farmer's sharpening an ax;
The children talk of "dressing."
Oh, my, I wish I knew the facts!
These rumors are depressing!

But all the future I can see
Looks very, very murky.
Just now I think I'd rather be
A chicken then a turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment