Friday, August 25, 2017

Santa Claus

Santa Claus.
By Julia C. R. Dorr.
 
(Let the first line be given by a small boy as a herald, carrying a trumpet, and dressed in tunic, tights, and velvet cap. The second line is taken up by Santa Claus, in costume of fur, with white beard and hair.)

A voice from out of the northern sky :
" On the wings of the limitless winds I fly,
Swifter than thought, over mountain and vale,
City and moorland, desert and dale !
From the north to the south, from the east to the west,
I hasten regardless of slumber or rest ;
O, nothing you dream of can fly as fast
As I on the wings of the windy blast !

" The wondering stars look out to see
Who he that flieth so fast may be,
And their bright eyes follow my earthward track
By the gleam of the jewels I bear in my pack.
For I have treasures for high and for low :
Rubies that burn like the sunset glow ;
Diamond rays for the crowned queen ;
For the princess, pearls with their silver sheen.

" I enter the castle with noiseless feet --
The air is silent and soft and sweet ;
And I lavish my beautiful tokens there --
Fairings to make the fair more fair !
I enter the cottage of want and woe --
The candle is dim and the fire burns low ;
But the sleepers smile in a happy dream
As I scatter my gifts by the moon's pale beam.

" There's never a home so low, no doubt,
But I in my flight can find it out ;
Not a hut so hidden but I can see
The shadow cast by the lone roof-tree !
There's never a home so proud and high
That I am constrained to pass it by,
Nor a heart so happy it may not be
Happier still when blessed by me !

" What is my name ? Ah, who can tell,
Though in every land 'tis a magic spell ?
Men call me that, and they call me this ;
Yet the different names are the same, I wis !
Gift-bearer to all the world am I,
Joy-giver, light-bringer, where'er I fly ;
But the name I bear in the courts above,
My truest and holiest name, is -- Love ! "

No comments:

Post a Comment