Wednesday, September 6, 2017

My Father's Voice in Prayer

My Father's Voice in Prayer 
by May Hastings Nottage

In the silence that falls on my spirit
When the clamor of life loudest seems,
Comes a voice that floats in tremulous notes
Far over my sea of dreams.
I remember the dim old vestry
And my father kneeling there;
And the old hymns thrill with the memory still
Of my father's voice in prayer.

I can see his glance of approval
As my part in the hymn I took;
I remember the grace of my mother's face,
And the tenderness of her look;
And I knew that a gracious memory
Cast its light on that face so fair
As her cheek flushed faint--O mother, my saint!--
At my father's voice in prayer.

"Neath the stress of that marvelous pleading
All childish dissensions died:
Each rebellious will sank conquered and still
In a passion of love and pride.
Ah, the years have held exquisite voices,
And melodies tender and rare;
But tenderest seems the voice of my dreams--
My father's voice in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment