Friday, August 7, 2020

The Cider Mill

The Cider-Mill
Marion Franklin Ham

Through the years I send you greeting, 
Long-forgotten cider-mill; 
Like an echo from my childhood, 
I can hear your music still, 
Creaking, creaking, 
Slowly creaking, 
While the horse goes round; 
Keeping time, in woful squeaking, 
To the laughter and the shrieking, 
And the shouts of merriment ; 
Till again I catch the scent 
Of the russet pomace steaming ; 
And again, in wistful dreaming, 
I can see the mellow splendor 
Of the luscious apple gleaming, 
Heaped upon the swarded ground. 

Oh, the amber-tinted cider! 
How it bubbled, how it flowed! 
In the gold of Autumn sunshine, 
How it glistened, how it glowed! 
How it darkled, 
How it sparkled, 
With a glitter as it ran! 
How it gurgled, trickling, rushing, 
Foaming, frothing, leaping, gushing, 
As no other liquid can! 
Then, in wanton idleness, 
How it loitered, slipping, slipping, 
While the honey-bees were sipping 
Draughts of beaded nectar 
From the brown drops dripping, dripping 
O'er the red lips of the press!
Idle dreams ! Again I draw 
Through a yellow barley-straw 
Magic vintage, sweeter, rarer, 
Than Olympian wine, forsooth ; 
And my eager lips I steep, 
Drinking long and drinking deep, 
Till my shrivelled cheeks are ruddy 
With the long-lost glow of youth. 

Long embalmed in dusty silence, 
Shrouded with the rust of years, 
Old companion, here I pledge you 
In a brimming cup of tears. 
Vacant places, 
Vanished faces, 
From the shadows speak to me. 
Boyish lips now mute forever, 
Hands estranged, that I may never 
Clasp save in eternity, 
With your song has passed away 
Boyhood's wealth of lusty treasure, 
Sunny hours of careless pleasure; 
And my heart, grown old in sorrow, 
Marches to a sadder measure. 
You and I have had our days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment