Monday, March 11, 2024

The Little Land

The creatures of ''Little Land''

 THE  LITTLE  LAND by Robert  Louis  Stevenson

WHEN  at  home  alone  I  sit
And  am  very  tired  of  it,
I  have  just  to  shut  my  eyes
To  go  sailing  through  the  skies  -
To  go  sailing  far  away
To  the  pleasant  Land  of  Play;

To  the  Fairy  land  afar
Where  the  Little  People  are;
Where  the  clover-tops  are  trees,
And  the  rain-pools  are  the  seas,
And  the  leaves  like  little  ships
Sail  about  on  tiny  trips;
And  above  the  daisy  tree
Through  the  grasses,
High  overhead  the  Bumble  Bee
Hums  and  passes.

In  that  forest  to  and  fro
I  can  wander,  I  can  go;
See  the  spider  and  the  fly,
And  the  ants  go  marching  by
Carrying  parcels  with  their  feet
Down  the  green  and  grassy  street.
I  can  in  the  sorrel  sit
Where  the  ladybird  alit.
I  can  climb  the  jointed  grass;
And  on  high
See  the  greater  swallows  pass
In  the  sky,
And  the  round  sun  rolling  by
Heeding  no  such  thing  as  I.

Through  the  forest  I  can  pass
Till,  as  in  a  looking-glass,
Humming  fly  and  daisy  tree
And  my  tiny  self  I  see,
Painted  very  clear  and  neat
On  the  rain-pool  at  my  feet.
Should  a  leaflet  come  to  land
Drifting  near  to  where  I  stand,
Straight  I'll  board  that  tiny  boat
Round  the  rain-pool  sea  to  float.

Little  thoughtful  creatures  sit
On  the  grassy  coasts  of  it;
Little  things  with  lovely  eyes
See  me  sailing  with  surprise.
Some  are  clad  in  armor  green  -
(These  have  sure  to  battle  been !)
Some  are  pied  with  ev'ry  hue,
Black  and  crimson,  gold  and  blue;
Some  have  wings  and  swift  are  gone;
But  they  all  look  kindly  on.

When  my  eyes  I  once  again
Open  and  see  all  things  plain;
High  bare  walls,  great  bare  floor;
Great  big  knobs  on  drawer  and  door;
Great  big  people  perched  on  chairs,
Stitching  tucks  and  mending  tears,
Each  a  hill  that  I  could  climb,
And  talking  nonsense  all  the  time -
O  dear  me,
That  I  could  be
A  sailor  on  the  rain-pool  sea,
A  climber  in  the  clover  tree,
And  just  come  back,  a  sleepy-head,
Late  at  night  to  go  to  bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment