Sunday, September 8, 2024

Animal Alphabet, A through F

 A New Animal Alphabet by John Martin
 
The ALBATROSS Can fly across
The sea in ninety days.
It is agreed
That such a great speed
Entitles him to praise.
 
The BEAVER'S bite
Must be a fright
If properly inflicted.
If he bites me
I hope to see
Him speedily convicted.
 
The sand-hill CRANE
Is very vain
Of his ability
To stand a week 
Out in the creek
On one extremity.

The first of four sheets for the illustrated Animal Alphabet.

A fearful beast, 
To say the least,
Was the ancient DINOSAURUS.
He was so great,
We're fortunate
He died long years before us. 

The slippery EEL
Would doubtless feel
Sincere humiliation,
Should you mistake
Him for a snake;
They're really no relation.

It seems to me
The little FLEA
Is very justly hated.
I know that I'd
Be satisfied
Had he not been created.

1rst and 2nd and 3rd and 4th pages

No comments:

Post a Comment